Sunday, February 14, 2010

Be my, be my Baby.

For me, Valentine's Day and New Year's Eve compete for most odious holiday... there is just too much pressure to have an amazing time on these two days of the year. Last year we were fighting our way through Oruro, Bolivia on Valentine's Day, BUT this year I tried to be a good sport for both holidays. For V. Day, as with NYE, I wanted to do something because not doing anything is kind of weird.

As a compromise between abstention and total cheesiness, I decided to make an epicurean feast because I have not cooked extravagantly in over a year. We settled on the Mardi Gras brunch off of epicurious.com. So I started shopping on Wednesday, started cooking on Thursday, kept on cooking on Friday and today we had an amazing brunch! Homemade beignets (we tried our best) to start, followed by oeufs au plat (fried eggs, as far as I can tell) over green onion sausage and shrimp gravy on Grandma Walter's biscuits with veal grillades (nothing says 'I love you,' like eating baby animals...) over jalapeno cheese grits (totally delicious!).

It was amazing!


Epicurious recommended serving all this with brandy milk punch, but we opted for the more conventional, and less curdly, mimosa. A feast of epic proportions! Needless to say we went into food coma for multiple hours, the only remedy for which was... profiteroles! Yes. Profiteroles, aka cream puffs. I had never used my 'mechanical pastry bag' from Williams-Sonoma and it debuted nicely, squirting disks of profiterole goop. Profiteroles, as you may know if you have made them, start off resembling, and smelling like, Play-Doh, or baker's clay as they apparently call it out here in California, according to John. American regionalism at its best. I tried to incorporate the four eggs into the dough with my Williams-Sonoma porsche-of-handmixers, but that did not work out very well, as in not much incorporation happened. Luckily, John saved the day, and the cream puff, with a good-old-fashioned wooden spoon.

Pre-bake

It's nothing short of Cream Puff Magic.

I would like to end this post with the lyrics to 'Be My Baby' by the Ronettes.

The night we met I knew I needed you so,
And if I had to the chance I'd never let you go.
So won't you say you love me?
I'll make you so proud of me.
We'll make them turn their heads every place we go.

So won't you please:
Be my, be my baby
My one and only
Be my little baby
Save me my darling
Be my baby now

I'll make you happy baby - just wait and see.
For every kiss you give me, I'll give you three.
Oh since the day I saw you.
I have been waiting for you.
You know I'll be there for you until eternity.

So be my, be my baby.
Be my baby now.

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment